We all know it’s crucial to stay hydrated in this summer heat so let’s explore some of the main reasons why we should be staying hydrated and various ways how to do it! It’s important that your hydration is a priority! Our goal is to remind you to take care of yourself – even if in the simplest way.
There are so many reasons you should keep hydrated, here are 14 reasons that are sure to remind you just how wonderful water is.
- Water helps to regulate your body temperature
- Water removes toxins via sweating
- It regulates bowel movements
- Lubricates joints
- Protects the brain
- Improves your complexion
- Prevents headaches
- Boosts immune function
- Helps to get rid of bloat
- Increases energy
- Increases your brain power
- Improves heart health
- Uplifts your mood
- Helps bad breath
If that doesn’t have you convinced to start drinking more water, we don’t know what will! Most of the reasons above are simple things our bodies need to do in order to properly function and feel normal.
We need about 90-125 ounces of water per day that is about 11-16 cups. While exercising for every 30 minutes add 12 ounces or 1 cup of water. Exercise really exerts a lot of energy and also water through sweating. Be sure to replenish yourself as needed!
Best Ways to Stay Hydrated
Here are a few tips on how to stay hydrated in summer heat!
- Keep a water bottle on you at all times. Keep it with you when you drive or when you go to work, even while just relaxing.
- When you feel hungry drink water – your body doesn’t have 2 different signals so always try water first! Especially if you’ve just eaten!
- Drink water right when you wake up. Keep it on your bedside table or near your coffee machine as a reminder.
- If you’re having trouble remembering to drink water, try drinking water on a schedule. Here are a couple examples:
- Drink water when you wake up, drink it before and after breakfast and lunch and dinner, drink it before bed etc.
- The best way is to set little timers and reminders to drink either a half cup every 30 minutes or a full cup at the beginning of every hour. Ideally you want to be sipping water every 15-20 minutes!
- Track your water intake and set daily goals to help motivate you to drink water.
- Add fruits, vegetables, and herbs to your water. Such as: lemons, limes, cucumber, mint, and strawberries!
- Drink fizzy water! Seltzer isn’t that great for your teeth, but a few glasses a day won’t hurt!
- Coconut water! If you’re into it, do it! Coconut water has plenty of benefits on its own!
- Reach for water first when you get to an event! It’s better to be safe than sorry – prevent those hangovers! If you’re really feeling it, drink water before and after every drink and be sure to say goodbye to that hangover for sure!
We hope you enjoyed the why’s and how’s of staying hydrated and we would love to hear from you! How has staying hydrated affected your life? What differences were noticeable once you started to take your water intake seriously? Let us know in the comments down below!